Near the end of last week, I decided to go out to the brand new Winco. Everyone here was really hyping up how great the new store would be.
After spending about 10 minutes in the store, let’s just say I was UNIMPRESSED!! From my short visit, I realized that most of the prices in the store were not competitive at all with the deals we find elsewhere.
Here are some of the CONS:
- WinCo does not advertise. You do not know what sales they have going on, unless you drive out and see. They say they do this to cut back on costs to us. Occasionally, they will send out a small one page ad with special deals. But who wants to waste gas money in case they MIGHT have a good sale going on.
- WinCo does not accept Credit Cards. They will take debit and any other form.
- Most of WinCo’s items are NOT on sale. I have never seen such expensive items.
- It was an absolute Mad House! There were no room for your carts and everyone was stocking up with food items that I knew they were paying WAY too much for. You could get items cheaper at a Smiths or Albertsons without coupons.
- One of the sales they did have was for a family size package of Chicken Breasts for $.99 a pound. That is really amazing! The cheapest I have ever seen Chicken Breast go is $1.22 a pound. So, I thought that might be my saving grace. However, when I got over to the chicken, I lost my appetite. I finally realized why it was so cheap…all bad and bloody cuts.
- The layout of the store is compacted and hard to maneuver through.
Now for some of the PROS
- They had a large parking lot.
- They had an AMAZING assortment of Pinatas.
You may think I am being pretty negative. And, maybe I am. Maybe I just had a really bad first experience?? But just because an item is labeled as “bulk” does not mean that it is a great deal. Price points really do matter. And in this case, WinCo did not impress me.
Anyone have any different experiences or thoughts about WinCo? I would love to hear them. Like I said, maybe I just had a bad first experience. I would probably try my luck again, if someone else had a good experience there. Let me know. 🙂